Grandpa and Grandpa Great!
This past Monday my Grandpa past away he was a great man and a wonderful Grandpa to everyone. Grandpa always had time for everyone even if he had never met them before. I can remember a million times being with Grandpa at the ice rink (Weber Co. were he ran it for years) and he would measure people for skates by looking at thier hands and having these great conversations with them and I would ask Grandpa who they were and he would just say some nice people who came to go ice skating. He may or may not have ever met them before but he always made them feel like his best friend. It was always the same way when Grandpa would haul me, Ed and Blake up to North Fork, he was friends with everyone. Having my own children now I can fully understand the commitment that Grandpa had taken on by dragging us around with him all of the time it just goes to show how much he loved all of his grandchildren.
Grandpa always was a man who had a strong belief in being a good example and that someone was always watching. He would always tell us to remember who we are and to remember that we come from a good family and that we have a lot to live up to. I remember a specific trip to California where we made a stop in Nevada somewhere and we were walking through the town and there was this ginormous slot machine the size of a pop machine on the sidewalk. Well, Grandpa gathered myself, Ed and Blake together to teach us the lesson that gambling doesn't pay, he pulled a dollar out of his wallet and placed it in the machine and pulled the lever and much to his suprise won five dollars! Grandpa still gave us the lecuture but I'm sure he was smiling inside.
Grandpa was also a very patient person, WAY more so than anyone I know. He was able to sit through any first grade reading book, any type of performance (whether it be for real or just the front room special performance),listen to all of the grandkids stories and actually be interested in all of them. He always made everyone feel very special. I can think of a great example of the patience that Grandpa had. It all started so inocently with myself, Ed and Blake shooting our BB guns in the backyard and I'm sure some sort of dare or challenge must have presented its self and our usuall target practice turned into a actuall all out BB gun fight. Well everything was going great untill for some odd reason Ed and myself were unable to convince Blake that he needed to stop crying and that BB's will eventually work there way out from under the skin and that's when Grandpa came out and called us all into the front room. I knew that Grandpa was very mad but he never did yell at us although we did get a strong talking to. Grandpa would always let boys be boys, we were always encouraged to explore and learn new things. I think that is one of the great things that I will take from him. Grandpa was always bringing home new and exciting animals for everyone to play with, and I know that is one thing my family has had a great time with.
It would be easy to go on and on with all the great memories and experiences of Grandpa and I know that everyone has their own to share but this time we will all have to find someone else to share them with besides Grandpa.
We'll miss you Grandpa!



10 comments:
My eyes are going to be swollen shut tomorrow :)
That was a truly beautiful post. I'm sure your grandpa was a spectacular man, thanks for sharing apiece of your memories with us. Sorry for your loss.
I am so sorry for your loss. Your Grandpa was a great man. He was a friend of my fathers for years. I too remember going ice skating and having him look at my hand to get me my skates. Whenever I saw him, he treated me like family. He will be truly missed.
Gary,
That was a really great post to read about your grandpa. I'm sorry he passed away. What a blessing that you have so many good memories of him.
Great memories. I wish I had known him. I am sure I met him once or twice, but sounds like I missed out. Hope you are doing ok. Love ya!
That was so nice, I loved reading it thank you for putting it on the blog so that i could enjoy it. Addy
The livingroom performances. Too many memories to even count there. And I know the tradition continues in all of our homes.
The livingroom performances. Too many memories to even count there. And I know the tradition continues in all of our homes.
He was a great man. I loved to hear those stories. What special memories.
We're gonna miss him a lot! He was such a great person! What a great legacy he has left! Such a tribute to him.
Post a Comment